A summary of our coverage of Hurricane Sandy to date.
Cuomo announces $100 million relief fund and puts pressure on utilities for restored services
Key points from 11.10am briefing from Governor Cuomo:
- 30 specialist insurance assessment teams provided by FEMA will be deployed from next week to assist people in making claims.
- Cuomo to sign executive order to waive oil tanker registration fees to assist in expediting fuel delivery into New York.
- Coast Guard working to restore full traffic to port of New York (worth $136 million a day), and controlling three oil spills. 2 million barrels being off-loaded now according to Coast Guard.
- Governor says he will hold utilities accountable and closely monitor the progress of restoration of services.
- Westchester and Rockland Counties have now been included in the disaster declaration.
- Cuomo: "I want the utilities to understand that this is a crisis for the people of this region."
Karen DeWitt will file more shortly.